Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Things 15 - Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries

The suggested YouTube video "The Machine is Us/ing Us" by Michael Wesch fascinated me. But it could be somewhat fast for those who are never exposed to HTML. I spent a little bit more time playing around the related videos listed on the right column and found the following video by Utechtips which, I think, is easier to understand. Take a look for yourself!



Library 2.0, to describe loosely, means Web 2.0 technologies, concepts and philosophies adapted to the Library world. A few years ago on our staff day, one of the group discussion topics is on the subject of future libraries. We had strong believes that books will never disappear, but along the journey of 23things, I am not that sure anymore. "Technology" comes at your fast! A decade ago I was able to use HTML to create my first personal website and showed it off to my colleagues, and since then, unaware I have been left behind. Thanks to 23things I was able to catch up, more accurately, start to catch up, with web 2.0 technologies. At the speed and direction we are going, the future libraries will not be confined in a physical location, they will be everywhere, barrier-free, and participatory. They will provide digital downloads of books; globally accessible catalog and invite readers' tags and comments; services that tailor information to specific needs and that develop participatory relationships with customers. There will be virtual librarians or librarian avatars helping customers organize, annotate and compare information from a variety of useful resources. We will be working in the virtual world as much as, is not more than, the traditional library we work in now. The best way to prepare ourselves for the future libraries is to adapt to user needs and to learn as technologies evolve, and make ourselves relevant to the community we serve. 23things training program just gave us a perfect opportunity to do that.

No comments: