Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thing 16 & 17 - Wikis and Learning 2.0 Sandbox

The first time I heard about Wiki is at "Computers in Libraries" annual conference in Washington D. C. two year ago. I understood what it is and how it works but have never really studies it, beside occasional use of Wikipedia to help with reference questions, with caution, of course. As a social software, Wiki has democratized the process of designing a website. It allows anyone the ability to take part in the creation and editing of web content, thus providing an outstanding platform for collaborative work. As for public wikis, I still have some reservation due to the possibility of vandalism and spam. A look at the message on"Library 2.0 in 15 Minutes a Day" - a page of the Oregon Librarian Instruction wiki by Sam Wallin, validated my concern. Nonetheless, as previously stated, I found Wiki a valuable resource for internal information sharing, such as meeting agendas, documents and files, conference programs, etc.; certainly a great platform for bookclub members to discuss and share their thoughts and ideas; and can be a helpful learning tool. I found a HTML Wiki site, seemed like a great refresher for HTML coding and added it to my del.icio.us account.

When I get to the sandbox to play, the PB Wiki Tour is down. The Sandbox was fun to play with. I was able to create an new page and added this blog to the Favorite Blogs page. I can't "play" any more knowing I have more "things" to do. Will be back though!

No comments: